KAUP has its origins in Leider, an urban district of Aschaffenburg. In 1894 a smithy was founded which later specialized in repairs in the field of ship and harbour equipment and was the forerunner of today's company. In the beginning of the 1960s the company, headed by Otmar Kaup, began with the manufacturing of attachments for forklift trucks. Later production was extended to include container spreaders and stationary equipment for material handling. Today the family run business, certified to DIN EN ISO 9001, is one of Europe's leading manufactures of attachments for forklift trucks.